June 8, 2010

Elijah Elephant

With all the knit monsters, bunnies, and bears in my shop, I'm not sure I should admit that I've never made a knit toy.You see, when I was growing up all our toys were made via sewing machine. My (very industrious) mother even sold custom-made bears (that were completely awesome). But she didn't start knitting again until I was an adult, and even then, she's only ever made clothing.

I know, it's not really fair of me to blame the fact that when I think of handmade toys I think fabric on my lovely mother, but I'm going to anyway. Let's at least pretend that as a result of all the incredibly awesome handmade toys my mom made for me (dolls with their own wardrobes, bunnies that seemed to multiply of their own accord, bears in a multitude of sizes and colors, etc.) that I've been conditioned to think this way.

But clearly Rebecca Danger, of Danger Crafts, and Ysolda of Ysolda Original Patterns, have every intention of de-conditioning me.

There's Sammie, the oh-so-adorable Sock Monster:
 And Otto, the sweet little polar bear:
And now Elijah the Elephant, quite possibly my new favorite:
Isn't he sweet?

Well, it's been confirmed. Elijah will have to be my first knit toy project since my three-year-old just walked in and, upon seeing Elijah's picture, declared, "Oh! I want that!" (in a sweet, non-demanding voice—swear). Not that I bow to every one of his whims or anything like that, but really, when your three-year-old son falls instantly in love with a small gray elephant, how can you deny him?

Happy knitting everyone!

No comments: