June 16, 2011

Finding Time

So I'm wondering, do any of you ever feel like no matter how hard you look, you just can't find any time for crafting (or, fill in the blank with your favorite down-time activity)? I mean, it's not just me, right?
Before busy baby Norah joined the family I was pretty good at locating an hour or two here and there for myself. Granted, I often used that time to make stuff for my kids, but it was definitely a choice I was making (which is not how I see laundry, mopping, or cleaning up the kitchen).

But these days, I feel like I could look my day up and down and never happen upon an extra 20 minutes.

So, clearly, I need to stop looking and start making! I've found some great advice about making time for yourself (to knit, sew, read, whatever) and thought I'd pass it on. Just in case your day isn't as flush with free time as you'd like either!

I love this post on A Little Hut. Particularly the idea of asking for free time as a gift. Brilliant.

In this post on Down to Earth, Rhonda makes a great point about feeling guilty when we take time for crafting (or rather, not feeling guilty).

This post on Knitting Daily has some great ideas about getting organized and inspired, which will naturally lead to more time for crafts...right?

Divine Caroline offers a few practical tips for sewing in this post.

And perhaps my favorite post about making time for crafts is over on Whipstitch. {I think I threw my fist in the air with a renewed sense of power after reading it. I'm worth it! Good stuff.}

Happy crafting!

6 comments:

Jenny Bartoy said...

Oh I needed this today!! Great post, thank you. :)

Unknown said...

I thought it was just me! Never seem to have any time to craft!

Nicole Kleemann said...

Today was one of the days where I wanted and needed to craft- I need to make two gifts by this weekend- and now I can't since its 11pm. (cooking, cleaning, laundry, and fussy babies beckoned me). Thank you for posting! I am going to check out your links. THANK YOU!

Mama Magpie said...

Thanks everyone. I'm so glad to know that I'm in such good company! Now put that laundry basket down, pour yourself a glass of wine and pick up your knitting! ;)

angie said...

great post! I've actually been finding a bit of time to craft lately...and boy is my house suffering as a result...

Mama Magpie said...

Ha! That's exactly what happens to my house, Angie! You know I've been crafting when the floor is crunchy, there's enough clean (but unfolded) laundry to fill the baby's playpen, and the fridge is bare. But hey, someone will have a new skirt and that's worth something, right?