September 13, 2011

A Simple Quilt

My younger brother welcomed his first baby into the world just last week. I haven't gotten to meet Miss Hartley yet, but I hear she's simply gorgeous, brilliant, and a good sleeper to boot!

I always try to make gifts for the new babies in our lives, and in this case I had the chance to collaborate with my mom, which made the project even more fun.

My sister-in-law asked for a quilt to match the nursery decór, which of course we were happy to provide. And because of the style of the fabric she chose, simple seemed the way to go.


Still, we wanted it to be special. So we decided to hand quilt it. That's special, right?

At first we thought we'd quilt around each animal, but that proved to be a bit overly ambitious so we settled on all of the bears. (This fabric is called Brown Bear, Brown Bear, from the book Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle.) Which turned out super cute, if I do say so myself.

Then with a simple rainbow confetti on the back and a bright red binding we were all set.

Sometimes a simple project is just the thing, don't you think?

Happy sewing!

2 comments: